Tastings, Farm Visits in
France, Italy, Holland
Eurobound is expanding its focus on culinary travel to Europe, with new experiences catering to cheese lovers. The cheese experiences are part of the company’s growing Epicurean Collection of culinary-themed vacations, available exclusively through travel agents.
“Food, especially cheese, is an integral part of life in Europe. Our new experiences feature tastings and first-hand looks at where these renown cheeses are crafted, “says Brigitte Armand, Eurobound president.
Each cheese experience can be booked individually or folded into a larger customized itinerary, such as a local tour, a wine and cheese day, vineyard visit, market walk, or cooking class with a master chef. Eurobound cheese-themed packages can include stays at farmhouse estates, reservations at world-class restaurants, and all travel arrangements.
Below is a sampling of Eurobound’s new cheese-oriented experiences.
According to the latest figures, the French consume more cheese than any other single nation. Here are some ways Eurobound visitors can join in.
- Loire Valley–Visit La Cabinette goat cheese farm. Eurobound travellers visit La Cabinette, a family-run farm producing hand-crafted goat cheese. Meeting with the farm’s owners, travelers learn how the cheese is made, meet the goats themselves, and enjoy a cheese tasting.
- Paris–Private visit to a cheese cellar. A private guide explains secrets of the cheese-making process, followed by a tasting complete with wine and champagne.
- Burgundy—Visit Fromagerie Gaugry. Travelers visit the Gaugry Family cheese dairy, the last cheese maker in France to produce raw-milk Here, they learn how washed-rind, cows-milk cheeses, such as Epoisses, Ami du Chambertin, and Plaisir au Chablis are made. The tour tops off with a cheese tasting accompanied by a glass of famed Burgundy Pinot Noir.
- Food Valley- Parma– Tour and tasting at Azienda Agricola Guareschi – Eurobound guests visit self-sustaining Guareschi Farm, set among green fields, to discover the process of making Parmigiano Reggiano from start to finish. The tour ends in the villa’s tasting room, with a sampling of the famous cheese along with Parma Ham and Modena Balsamic Vinegar.
- Pienza – Fattoria Pianporcino – Pecorino di Pienza Tasting. At this sheep farm in Southern Tuscany, travelers learn how the milk is transformed into the area’s unique Pecorino di Pienza. Here, they can sample more than 30 types of Pecorino not generally found elsewhere, including cheeses flavored with nuts, leaves, hay, and herbs, following a local tradition.
- Amsterdam–Cheese Master class. Held in the city’s best cheese shop, this hour-long class delves into the subtleties of tasting, as 6 of Holland’s finest cheeses are paired with wine or port.
- Edam- Cheese market—Travelers see cheese mongers in action on this 3-hour tour to the colorful Edam Cheese Market. The Market takes place one morning a week during July and August, when farmers from the area come by canal barge to unload, sell and trade their cheeses. The festive event includes tasting the various Edams.
- Gouda –Cheese market and town visit—Gouda is one of the oldest-recorded cheeses in the world, and Eurobound guests visiting Holland in the summer can visit the town’s weekly cheese market; or, in the winter, the cheese museum. A walking tour of the picturesque town includes a visit to one of the city’s oldest bakeries and a workshop in stroopwafels, the famous Dutch syrup waffles.
To arrange a customized Eurobound culinary package, and for more information on the company’s Epicurean Collection, visit Cuisine Around Europe, call toll free 888-672-7476, or email mailto:email@example.com. Further details are available on Eurobound’s web site: Eurobound.com.
Now celebrating its 21st year, Eurobound provides distinctive packages and itineraries for independent travelers and small groups, sold exclusively through travel agents. Specializing in personalized travel to Europe, Eurobound is a winner of the French Affairs Award for Best Niche Tour Operator.
– END –
Left, Edam Cheese Market; Right Pecorino cheese